Hall Williams on the History of the Holly Theatre
The Dahlonega area had been the backdrop for several films around the turn of the 20th century. However, movies weren't shown until the mid 1920s when the lower floor of the Price Building was converted into a movie theatre. In 1939 Randall Holly Brannon leased the building and expanded the theatre. At the end of WWII Mr. Brannon decided that the Price Building was no longer adequate and a larger building was needed. After overcoming several contruction roadblocks the new building finally opened in 12 July 1948.
The brick building with a Georgia Marble facade looked much the same as it does today. A well know local, Mrs. Ash, ran the ticket both and managed the theatre. With the advent of television in the 1960s attendance dropped and the building was used for additional purposes. By the end of 1979 the theatre was closed and eventually began to deteriorate. However, years later a group of citizens having fond memories of the theatre got together to restore the theatre so the whole community could once again enjoy it. Hal Williams tells us about his involvement and further details of this story.
Posted 14 sep 2014 by Manny Carvalho