Although none of the Meaders' family still resides in Lumpkin County, their legacy resonates through to today. The family arrived in Dahlonega in 1867 and purchased a lot on the Public Square, where the Fudge Factory is currently, that became known as Meaders' Corners. Barney Meaders started by building a general store on that corner and a spacious home extending down East Main to where the Antique Mall is now. Barney became the postmaster in 1875.
In 1914, Barney constructed a two story brick building next to his store, where Connie's Ice Shop is today, that was used by the Bank of Dahlonega and the US Post Office for many years. The family continued it's contribution as Frank and Robert, Barney's sons, drove the first automobile, a red Rambler, into Dahlonega in May 1906. Robert, who was known as Mr. Bob, brought the first running water into the city and introduced the first telephone putting the area ahead of many other communities in the rural South.
Anne Amerson grew up knowing the Meaders' family and at the September meeting she discussed the contributions of Bob Meaders who belonged to one of Dahlonega's most progressive family.
Posted 15 Sep 2014 by Manny Carvalho