Thank you for your generous donation.          
                   Join us on Facebook                          Go to the Diving Bell Page             Old Bell Pictures? 

Learning from the past, preserving for the future

Welcome to the Lumpkin County Historical Society site.  
The focus of the society is to preserve and protect this area's rich historical heritage.   Our organization brings together people who are interested in knowing and accurately preserving the rich history of Lumpkin County and the City of Dahlonega.
Major projects of the Society are:
  • Maintaining and operating the Old 1884 Jail as a museum.
  • Encouraging students to learn about local history by sponsoring an essay contest.
  • Recognizing contributions for preserving Lumpkin County's historical heritage.
Lumpkin County, Georgia is where the first major gold rush in the United States took place in 1829.  Dahlonega's commercial district, including the public square, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 
      * [Postcard  by H.G. Zimmerman & Co. of Chicago]        

The Society normally meets on the second Thursday of the month and the meetings are open to the public.  Programs are announced below and in the Dahlonega Nugget.  Membership is open to everyone.  To become a member, write:
Lumpkin County Historical Society, Inc.
PO Box 894 
Dahlonega, GA 30533
or send an email to LCHSociety#Gmail.com [change the # to @].  Alternatively, you may click this  email  link to use your own e-mail program or print out this form and mail it to the above address: Form


Recent Announcements

  • This section lists the last 3 recent announcements.  All announcements are available here. To monitor changes try this service.

  • Bear on the Square - Old Jail Tours.
    The 1884 Lumpkin County Jail & Museum will be open on Saturday, April 18, from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. during the Bear on the Square Mountain Festival for free tours.
    Posted Mar 24, 2015, 2:26 PM by Manny Carvalho
  • The Plunderer Comes to Town by Anne Amerson & Chris Worick; Thurs., 12 Mar. 2015, 7pm @ Dahlonega Community House

    "Sheer Thrills and Heart-Pounding Excitement that has never been excelled on the Screen! "  At least that's what the original advertisement for the 1915 movie The Plunderer opined.

    For several weeks in March of 1915, Dahlonega hosted some of the top names in the fledgling motion picture industry.   The Fox Film Corporation from New York had been scouting for a suitable location to film their upcoming version of "The Plunderer."  Based on the 1912 book by Roy Norton, "The Plunderer" offered everything that silent films were known for.  Action, romance, big saloon fights and  thrilling chase scenes were all set against the backdrop of a rugged gold mining town.  Starring film legend William Farnum in the lead role, "The Plunderer" debuted in theatres in June of 1915.
    Historical Society members Anne Amerson and Chris Worick will present this special program marking the 100th anniversary of when "The Plunderer" came to Dahlonega.  Mark your calendars and make plans to attend this centennial celebration. 
    Our program will take place on Thursday, March 12th at 7 pm in the Dahlonega Community House, 111 N. Park Street.  The public is invited to attend.

    Posted Feb 20, 2015, 8:34 AM by Manny Carvalho
  • The Chestatee, River of Lights; Thurs., 12 Feb 2015, 7pm @ Dahlonega Community House
    At the confluence of Frogtown Creek and Dicks Creek, in the beautiful north Georgia mountains, the Chestatee River is born.  If flows along the contours of Lumpkin County for 32 miles to empty into Lake Lanier.  Along the way it provides its many assets to the people who live along side of it.  It certainly is a major contributor as a source of water to the northern suburbs of Atlanta.  But to the people of Lumpkin County it is a major contributor to our quality of life.  It provides recreation, adds beauty to our community and is an attractive gateway to the Dahlonega area.  The river also has great historical significance as it played a big part of the country's first major gold rush and beyond.
    The majesty of the river has been recently documented in a newly published book entitled: The Chestatee, River of  Lights.  It is authored by Percy Jones, Anne Amerson, Jack Anthony and Robert Fuller.
    Percy (P.J.) Jones has lived on the Chestatee for 34 years and has long envisioned a book about Lumpkin County’s main watercourse. After composing several chapters featuring plant and animal life and recreation on the river, he asked Jack Anthony, award winning photographer and lover of all things Dahlonega, to collaborate with him by contributing the scenic photos needed to create an attractive coffee table book about the Chestatee.

    Jack Anthony has taken  hundreds of photos of the Chestatee River in the past and took hundreds more in order to portray the river and its environment in every season.

    Local historian and author Anne Amerson contributed a chapter about the history associated with the river over the years.

    Professional engineer and environmentalist Robert Fuller contributed a chapter addressing environmental concerns about the Chestatee. He is also a passionate lover of the river, especially when seen from a canoe!

    The book also includes an essay, “Growing up on the Chestatee” by J.B. Jones, former County Commissioner, and an Afterword by Ben LaChance, river-trip provider and owner of Appalachian Outfitters.  The authors will be available to sell books and talk with individuals following the program.
    February 12, 2015 • 7 p.m.
    Dahlonega Community House
    111 North Park Street, Dahlonega, GA 30533
    Posted Jan 31, 2015, 9:54 AM by Manny Carvalho
Showing posts 1 - 3 of 78. View more »